Friday, August 27, 2010

Back to the grind

I have decided that I'm not going to wait around for a job offer that may not come, before giving a start date to the salon owner. I will start back at the salon (at least) one day per week, until such time as there is an offer extended from the other job. If there isn't one forthcoming, I'll take a few more days at the salon.

I like the owner, and the women who work there. They are nearly all Indian or Nepali; its primary business is threading, but it offers full services. My function there before was as manager/administration/reception, which suited me fine. I like being in charge. We'll see if I enjoy it again.

When you have children, working outside of the home is always a dance. Do I feel fulfilled/make enough money to make leaving my kids worth it? Without having daycare costs, it likely will be. In the past, it hasn't been. When Big was a little person, I had no choice but to work full-time (and indeed from time to time I held a part-time job as well) since I was a single parent. Being married has afforded me the luxury of being a stay-at-home parent for most of the past eight years. Full-time school for both of the boys means that I can get out and work, bring in a little bit of money, without having to spend it all on daycare.

In other news, last night was my weekly knitting group. I now host at my house, as our former location wasn't working for us any longer. I had five of my good friends here, and it's the first time I have seen any of these lovely ladies since before I went to Canada in mid-July. It was quite nice to see everyone after so long. I had promised one of them a pair of socks for her birthday, but last night she chose a stole/wrap instead. I will cast on for that after I'm through making my Clasica coat. I'm done the back and fronts, have only the sleeves to complete. I also have to cast on for a sock project as I have joined a pair-a-month knit-along and haven't made anything for it in August. I might have this month's pair done a few days late. Good thing I'm the only knitting police I know.

Have a nice weekend. Talk to you soon.

No comments: